Saturday, July 13, 2013

Awesome Upcoming Races

Happy Saturday, everyone!  For a lot of us that means a long run this morning... Mine got pushed back to tomorrow because I'm going canoeing today!  Just enough time for a quick post this morning.

In my last post I mentioned that I was signed up for four upcoming races that I am REALLY excited about so I want to share a little about them!

In addition to being a HUGE Disney fan, I'm also a really big NFL fan.  More specifically, I'm a really big Indianapolis Colts fan!  I've been going to Colts games every year for over 10 years and it's become a family affair with at least 10 family members joining us every year.

The Colts' Stadium all opened up (window and roof) during the Jacksonville game last year!

So how does this relate to running?  Well this year the NFL is hosting a run series called the "Back to Football" runs and I, along with about 15 of my family members, signed up for the Indianapolis Colts 5k!  This run is so exciting for me because the finish line is the 50-yard line of the stadium.  This makes me super excited for August!

The other three races I'm currently signed up for are, in some way, related to runDisney! I first became obsessed with runDisney on our most recent Disney World trip (May 2013) when two of my cousins ran the Expedition Everest Challenge.  By the time I even looked into the run it was already sold out... but I was determined to run in a runDisney race in the near future.  My parents decided that they wanted to take a trip to Disney later this year and I convinced them that the best time to visit would be during the Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend.  I've heard SO many good things about this weekend... It seems to be so many people's favorite race weekend so I thought it would be a good first runDisney experience.  At this point, I never thought I'd want to run anything more than a 5k so we signed up for Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5k.  I am completely obsessed with Disney, Animals AND Christmas, so I think this will be an awesome race for me!  And who wouldn't want a medal like this?!


Signing up for the 5k was an awesome decision but it didn't completely fulfill my runDisney obsession... So when registration opened for the Princess Half Marathon, I basically begged my husband to register with me.  It is a lot of money for a race (registration fees plus travel expenses, lodging, tickets, etc.) but we decided to do it!  I am SO excited for this race and, of course, the (even better) bling!


As most of you know, runDisney puts runners in starting corrals based on anticipated finish times.  In order to verify those times, the races require qualifying times from other races (at least a 10k for half marathon races) so I had to find a 10k to run!  Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of 10k's in my area... But I did find a Labor Day 10k (the Kentucky One Health Four De Lis Classic 10k).  I'm not super excited about this race itself because I have to work on Labor Day... which means I'll be doing the race at 8 am and hopefully get to work by 10:30ish.  But this race feels like a runDisney stepping stone so I'm still pretty excited about it!

Do you have any upcoming races that you're excited about?  Any tips for my 10k training would also be appreciated!


No comments:

Post a Comment